Which miter saw???

danandersen3

I have a 10" delta compound that I picked up for $50 at a post Christmas sale like 10 years ago that does about 80% of what I want. I make a handful of miter cuts a year, and I think I've made a compound miter cut once. The only thing it really gets used for is breaking down stock, and it can't cut anything wider than 6 inches. I've been seriously considering picking up a WEN or Geniesis slider from Hd just because they are cheap and have what I really want extra cross cutting capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been beyond happy with a 12" DeWalt bought used from craigslist for $100.

It gets used a lot for cutting things to rough length, or cutting an angle. You can't beat a crosscut sled for accurate cuts, but for breaking down stock and stuff around the house the CMS is awesome. If you don't think you will crosscut more than 8" stock, you don't need a slider.

Also, you can get a laser add on cheap. It just bolts on to the arbor next to the blade.

I'm mostly a power tool guy, but I've been blending my shop with hand tools where they work just as well if not better.  In this case I'd suggest you go with a Nobex miter saw. I recently purchased a Nobex Professional set-up.  I have used it a bunch already both in the shop and in the field.  It's great for a beginner, it's accurate from the start and it's quiet.  It can do big and small cuts with no problem (no accidently sucking your hand into the blade by small pieces)...and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the miter box crap you can buy at big box stores.  If you're looking to pony up a couple hundred bucks I'd seriously consider this saw versus an electric miter saw.  For what it's worth I have had a 12" DeWalt compound miter saw for the last 20 years or so and it's been great.