Just getting started

wintersedge

I finally placed my order for my bench hardware.

I am leaning to SYP for my bench build. On my mobile but will search through the archives to see if others followed my wood choice. I was leaning towards maple or ash but just can not find any close enough under 6-7 bucks.

I will be sure to take pictures and post along the way.

Cheers

Just went through looking at all the different domestic woods I could use:

hard and soft maple $6 4/4 goes up from based on thickness

ash $6.50 4/4

beech 3.50 4/4  This might be an option depending on how many board feet are available

red oak 3.95 4/4 also another option

birch $4.35 4/4

SYP $1.25 hard to beat this price

I am just north of Atlanta and going to submit price requests from a few mills in the Carolinas. It may be worth driving an hour or two if I can get ash or maple for the same price as beech.

I'm in Atlanta, and wondering where you called about those prices.  Eric is right that you need thicker stock - at least 8/4 for most of the bench.  Some parts are actually 12/4 also if I remember correctly.

I've had good luck with Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw, or Atlanta Hardwoods in Mableton.  There are a few other places on the north side also.  Try Suwanee Lumber also.

It's a little out of date (Q1 2013), but Atlanta Hardwoods has these prices listed on their website at www.hardwoodweb.com

8/4 Ash for $3.86

8/4 Poplar for $2.25

8/4 Soft Maple for 4.13