delta 12-1/2" planer

jimmykx250

I have an older delta planer which seems to be having feeder problems. I cant figure it out. The blades are freshly flipped over and im not getting any lines or anything so im not sure what to do. I raise the tower to the top and look at the rollers themselves and they have like this yellowish tint to them like they are coated with something, im wondering if this coating is the problem. Some people have suggested cleaning the rollers but not sure if i should what if i remove this coating?

I have a larger planer that definitely has more feeder power than a lunchbox.... but you'd be amazed at what waxing the table will do. I had a board I literally pushed through (well, pulled the last foot ;)) then waxed the table and the same board, same side down went through just like I expected. Over time the table just got unwaxed enough to become a major hindrance.

Not saying the coating isn't a problem. Usually those pressure rollers are covered in a neoprene or other rubber to give them some stick to the stock. Do they feel sticky? feel slick? Surely there's an end without the yellow that you can use to compare against the rest. I'd think the infeed roller is the most important so try cleaning the outfeed (so if you screw up, the real deal isn't). Use something mild like mineral spirits and wipe it all off after you use it. Acetone will dissolve most polymers in time. If it's a grease or grime, try soapy water with some Simple Green surfactant to take it off.

I have a larger planer that definitely has more feeder power than a lunchbox.... but you'd be amazed at what waxing the table will do. I had a board I literally pushed through (well, pulled the last foot ;)) then waxed the table and the same board, same side down went through just like I expected. Over time the table just got unwaxed enough to become a major hindrance.

Not saying the coating isn't a problem. Usually those pressure rollers are covered in a neoprene or other rubber to give them some stick to the stock. Do they feel sticky? feel slick? Surely there's an end without the yellow that you can use to compare against the rest. I'd think the infeed roller is the most important so try cleaning the outfeed (so if you screw up, the real deal isn't). Use something mild like mineral spirits and wipe it all off after you use it. Acetone will dissolve most polymers in time. If it's a grease or grime, try soapy water with some Simple Green surfactant to take it off.

The rollers are coated from end to end completely. Yes they are tacky for sure. I will try waxing the table first and go from there. I also noticed the table directly below the rolleers and cutters has a little flex in it which cant be good for snipe, not sure what im gonna do there. Thanks for the help paul.

The rollers are coated from end to end completely. Yes they are tacky for sure. I will try waxing the table first and go from there. I also noticed the table directly below the rolleers and cutters has a little flex in it which cant be good for snipe, not sure what im gonna do there. Thanks for the help paul.

Hmm, then I dunno what to do about the rubber rollers. If the wax doesn't do it on the table, try mineral spirits to get the yellow off. Almost sounds like the protective grease they put on cast iron somehow got on there then hardened up a bit. If so the mineral spirits will help.

Well, I'll be the slime who plugs one of my blog posts to reduce snipe on lunchbox planers. The box is trivial to make. Regrettably, you have a Delta which moves the table up and down (correct?) rather than the cutting head. In that case, you can't use the trick I outlined of using two boxes on an assembly table, but the box in the planer will work wonders.

Hmm, then I dunno what to do about the rubber rollers. If the wax doesn't do it on the table, try mineral spirits to get the yellow off. Almost sounds like the protective grease they put on cast iron somehow got on there then hardened up a bit. If so the mineral spirits will help.

Well, I'll be the slime who plugs one of my blog posts to reduce snipe on lunchbox planers. The box is trivial to make. Regrettably, you have a Delta which moves the table up and down (correct?) rather than the cutting head. In that case, you can't use the trick I outlined of using two boxes on an assembly table, but the box in the planer will work wonders.

Paul-

The cutter head and rollers move up and down on my planer not the table. I did read you blog and I like the torsion box table looks like it would help with snipe for sure. Im going to try cleaning the rollers tonight and see where that gets me. Thanks,

Paul-

The cutter head and rollers move up and down on my planer not the table. I did read you blog and I like the torsion box table looks like it would help with snipe for sure. Im going to try cleaning the rollers tonight and see where that gets me. Thanks,

Oooh, then it must be the Delta drum sander that moves the table. One of the two does the table, which makes it difficult to make infeed/outfeed tables.

Jimmy, I have the same planer. It's about 11 years old. About two years ago I started having the same problems. It turns out the the rubber part of the roller has separated from the steel shaft that runs through it and was just spinning on the shaft. The replacement rollers were a little hard to find, but when I did I ordered both a front and rear and replaced them both while I had it apart. It wasn't a difficult repair and I haven't had any problems since.

If you think that might be the problem then start your search here: DewaltServiceNet.com

Jimmy, I have the same planer. It's about 11 years old. About two years ago I started having the same problems. It turns out the the rubber part of the roller has separated from the steel shaft that runs through it and was just spinning on the shaft. The replacement rollers were a little hard to find, but when I did I ordered both a front and rear and replaced them both while I had it apart. It wasn't a difficult repair and I haven't had any problems since.

If you think that might be the problem then start your search here: DewaltServiceNet.com

thanks loogie- im going to tear into it and check it out.

My Delta 12 1/2" planer was given to me, because it did not work as well as the previous owner thought it should. (He took up golf) I took the thing apart and found the rollers to be very slick. You may not want to try this if you are not confident about getting the planer back together. I took the feed rollers out and spun them at a low rate, about 150 rpm, and used 150 grit sandpaper to rough them up. When I reassembled the unit, after cleaning and polishing each part as needed, it worked very well. And is still doing well 12 years later.