planers

t-bone

I have been looking at getting the Ridgid Jointer as well. I have the Ridgid Table Saw TS3660 and it is HEAVY, and I LOVE IT. If the jointer is as good as the TS, then it will be a good purchase. Especially for the "in my spare time" woodworker, which I am. For the person intending on going pro or semi pro, then it would probably worth stepping up to the Grizzley, Delta, Jet, Powermatic, etc.

I own that unit. Never had a problem with it and works great. Heavy as heck.

Only thing I really wish it had was a helical cutter head.

WENT_POSTAL: you know that they do make a helical head for the Ridgid....right.

http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-head-for-ridgid-jp0610-6-jointer.html

VERY EXPENSIVE! But they do make one.

Jeff

I have been looking at getting the Ridgid Jointer as well. I have the Ridgid Table Saw TS3660 and it is HEAVY, and I LOVE IT. If the jointer is as good as the TS, then it will be a good purchase. Especially for the "in my spare time" woodworker, which I am. For the person intending on going pro or semi pro, then it would probably worth stepping up to the Grizzley, Delta, Jet, Powermatic, etc.

Jeff

Yeah... I knew about the head... But if I am going to buy a head that costs as much as the tool I would probably just upgrade to a bigger jointer. :D

I also have the Ridgid TS... the old one that had the arbor defect that you had to replace yourself... what a pain that was.

Also have the Ridgid 13" Planer.

Lots of Orange in my garage.

Yes. The Ridgid will only take a 6" wide piece of lumber, but most of the jointers out there are the same size. There are a few of the lower price range jointers that will take 6-1/8". But if that is just too small, then step up and get a 12" Powermatic for $4500.00 to $6200.00 or a Delta 12" Jointer for $5000.00. OR a 6" jointer under a $1000.00 with Delta and Powermatic. I will have to make do with a 6" jonter since my pocket book AND MY WIFE will not go for a bigger one.

Plus, when you start getting up to the 8" jointer range, then a lot of them need 220volts, and I do not have that in my shop right now.

Jeff

I own that unit. Never had a problem with it and works great. Heavy as heck.

Only thing I really wish it had was a helical cutter head.

thanks that helped alot really iam just getting into woodworking and need al the help i can get lol, i did by the bosch hand planer with 2 blades taking it back

Jeff

thanks for your in put very helpful

Yeah... I knew about the head... But if I am going to buy a head that costs as much as the tool I would probably just upgrade to a bigger jointer. :D

I also have the Ridgid TS... the old one that had the arbor defect that you had to replace yourself... what a pain that was.

Also have the Ridgid 13" Planer.

Lots of Orange in my garage.

thanks guys alot of help for real