free wood (but you have to donate what you make)

Beechwood Chip

Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania, a dozen miles from Philadelphia, near Swarthmore College.

They have a bunch of wood that they've harvested from trees on their property.  Mostly limbs from a beech that is over 300 years old. In addition to the beech, "which has exquisite figuring, there’s also wood from a spectacular Kentucky Coffee tree as well as some specially selected walnut and cherry."

They want to use it to make "wooden goods that could be sold to benefit Pendle Hill.  [...] We visualize wood art projects made from these limbs by local artists and crafts people to celebrate our values and sustainability.”

That's all I know - I'm passing this along for a friend of mine.  Might be fun, you can probably put a price on what you make and claim it on your taxes as a charitable donation, and it might be a way to meet potential clients and other woodworkers in your area (if that's your area).

Here's the link with contact information:

http://www.pendlehill.org/work-wood-celebrate-pendle-hills-85th-birthday-wood-art/

• 6 months later...

Beechwood,

I was interested in finding out how successful your post was here, and also offering a similar advertisement.

I have a 12' high straight section, 29" black walnut log which I would offer to a woodworker willing to donate the finished project to one of a number of area charities I'm familiar with. There is an estimated 275+ board feet of lumber in the log, though it might be better used for a series of turning projects. I welcome direct contact about this by phone or email, though replies first to here indicating what prospective crafters might want to do with a part of the tree and where I would need to bring the wood to are most welcomed.

I am in Batavia, NY 14020.