Danish Oil + wax

Godet

There's not a definitive answer. Really depends on the wood. But 2-3 coats should be fine, you can tell it's about "full" when it stops soaking it up. So if on the 3rd coat it's still drinking the Danish oil, you may want to go for a 4th.

I like the way the hand-rubbed danish oil looks and recently discovered that a top coat of wax (mixwax furniture wax/polish) gives it a nice sheen. How many coats of Danish Oil should I use before putting on the coat of wax?

Hi there. Danish Oil is one of my favourites. One or two things to watch out for. One (most important) do not lay on heavy coats and leave them to dry, you'll end up with a sticky looking mess worse than any varnish.

The way I was taught by a guy who knew more than most of us will ever know. He would begin with a mix of 50% oil 50% turps, now you'll probably have to settle for white spirit. He Would wipe a liberal coat on, leave for maybe an hour sometimes less depending on the weather, temperature etc. then he'd wipe the surplus off really thoroughly. Leave till the next day and repeat. Being very careful each time to make absolutely sure he'd wiped the surface dry. This he would repeat usually three times, but, his experience showed him when to go for the full strength stuff. Which I suppose can only be gained by experience. I kind of just know when it looks right, but, I doubt I could really explain that.

He had a rule of thumb which went like this 'Every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year and once a year there after. I tell you his oiled stuff was awesome. Very occasionally he would burnish the final after the every week for a month stage to a wonderful lustre, not a true gloss but certainly a shine. Mostly however he liked the familiar sheen that you get if you do it well without any real sign of the thickness of the finish, if you get my meaning.

Hope this is of some help.

Pete