Jig saw technique

Guest Trace

I have been cutting out Christmas and Hanukkah decorations, some of which are very large. I had a cut that was at the limit of my reach, so I walked around the work area to the other side of the piece being cut. I reached to the jig saw and instead of lifting it out of the cut, I put both hands on the top of the saw. Then pressed the trigger with my thumb. No problems. But I found that I had better control that when trying to push the saw. I could see the blade better. I think the cuts were more smooth when pulling the saw. I am cutting 3/4" A/B 7 ply material. Since I use a full face shield, no sawdust in the eyes. I am using a DW jig saw with a scrooling blade.

I have a barrel-grip jigsaw and the front has a big knob on it. Usually end up pulling it far more often than pushing it. Someone separately suggested trying it upside down. Crazy, but it works really well. The blade pops out the top of your material so you have nothing in the way to see it track the line. I think the barrel-grip lends itself better to this technique since a D handle would require more hand placement changes.