Make the pictures public, please?

jhl.verona

I was about to send off a few emails with links here to friends and family, when I suddenly realised they can't see the photos as anonymous visitors. I appreciate that this will increase bandwidth a bit, but wouldn't it be better publicity too if they could be seen? Or at least let us choice to go public or not. At least for the 'free' forums. Please...

Can't see these folks signing up just for my out of focus snaps... Otherwise I'll post on flickr and link next time.

TIA

John

I'm not sure what you mean John. Guests have always been able to view images and read posts. They just can't post or comment. The only thing Guests shouldn't be able to see is our profile pages. This is essentially for your own privacy. If enough people want the profiles to be open to the public, I'd be happy to turn that on. But give me more info about this image thing because Guests should be able to see them.

Pictures speak better than words...

I'm not sure what you mean John. Guests have always been able to view images and read posts. They just can't post or comment. The only thing Guests shouldn't be able to see is our profile pages. This is essentially for your own privacy. If enough people want the profiles to be open to the public, I'd be happy to turn that on. But give me more info about this image thing because Guests should be able to see them.

I'm perfectly happy with the forum as is, profile page included - with one exception. Images (such as the ones below) uploaded to the forum aren't visible to anonymous visitors, anon on the left, member on the right:

post-2037-0-88465000-1290101011_thumb.pn post-2037-0-67537500-1290101015_thumb.pn

Clicking on any image link (when anonymous) takes you to a login/register page...

Most of my friends and relatives (who do little or no woodworking) would certainly arrive as anonymous users - as will a lot of curious surfers. They won't register just to see the pictures.

I'm not sure what a 'guest' is, members I understand ;). Am I missing something here?

John

No, I completely agree with you John. You don't need to sell me on letting people view the forum without registering. That's exactly how I thought it was set up. The only thing I restrict anonymous users (guests) on is Profiles and Downloads. The mistake I made was assuming "downloads" meant the SketchUp files. I didn't realize this also refered to inline attachments. So I enabled that and it should be working as expected now.

Thanks, Marc (and not just for the forum). Works as advertised!

No, I completely agree with you John. You don't need to sell me on letting people view the forum without registering. That's exactly how I thought it was set up. The only thing I restrict anonymous users (guests) on is Profiles and Downloads. The mistake I made was assuming "downloads" meant the SketchUp files. I didn't realize this also refered to inline attachments. So I enabled that and it should be working as expected now.

Web applications can be fiddly things sometimes. I believe you're a Mac user, right? So you probably use Safari for surfing. Now you may have already done this, but... If you install Firefox and Chrome, or possibly Opera (all available for OS X) then you can check out your sites as the administrator with say Safari, as a member with Firefox, and as an anonymous user with Chrome - all at the same time, on the same page - just by switching browser. It saves all that logging in and out...

Mille grazie ancora,

John