Newbie: Varying finish on a single project?

evenprimes

I've just finished a side table.  For a first coat I used an oil/wiping varnish mix.  I added some wonderful color and just a tiny amount of vanish.  

Then, I left the base alone and added 3-4 coats of wiping varnish to the top only, since that's the surface that will get the wear and tear.  I got it to a light sheen, but still fairly close to the wood.

The final result is a nearly bare wood base with a more conventionally finished top.  I think it looks good, but is there anything I should be worried about down the road?  I tried to get some pictures, but you can't see the difference so I'm not including them.

In short, is it "ok" to vary the level of finish in a project like this?

Yup, as long as you like the look then it's totally fine. I almost always finish "wear" surfaces a bit differently, whether it's more coats or a different sheen or whatever. Unless you have pets or toddlers, the base of a side table should receive very little abuse. So go with whatever look you're happy with.

Yup, as long as you like the look then it's totally fine. I almost always finish "wear" surfaces a bit differently, whether it's more coats or a different sheen or whatever. Unless you have pets or toddlers, the base of a side table should receive very little abuse. So go with whatever look you're happy with.

Well, my kitty is 15 and rarely comes down stairs.  She seems to prefer getting her claws into the carpet or my arms anyway.  ;)

Cool, my decision was partly laziness, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone in the approach.