ShopSmith Jointer

joelpro

Due to space and money restrictions, the main body of my shop is an older (1980s) ShopSmith in inherited from my Grandfather. I look forward to the day I can expand, but it's not something I can do now. I'm getting by with the table saw abilities although the fence and table itself are way too small. Recently I attached the jointer attachment and was disappointed that after a little work in trying to get is set up properly, I was unable to get a solid joint. I ran one end first then turned the board around and ran the other end, and I got a diagonal line across the board. Perhaps the knives aren't in line with the out feed table? Unfortunately, the ShopSmith does not have the ability to align the way Marc demos in his video. Has anyone had any experience with jointing on a ShopSmith, and had any success with it? I'd like to see if it's worth my time before I spend hours trying to get the sucker calibrated perfectly.

JoelPro

I have a newer model built in the 90's and with the bigger table and upgraded to the 520. The joiner will handle 4" wide boards and will do an excellent job if the knives are aligned correctly. I would suggest you check out the Shopsmith Net Forum as there are lots of information in what you are asking and some sawdust session videos you can watch online for free that will help you getting your machine aligned and setup. I am very satisfied with my machine.