Glorified U-Haul Box

jlloydparks

I had a few hours the past few days and decided to take up a small project that had been on the list for a while. I went out and picked up a small amount of white pine to build the packing box for The Joiner and Cabinetmaker book. It took about 5 hours and it was done totally with hand tools. It was a great project to hone both my plane and saw skills. I started by marking off the boards with my antique Stanley folding rule

DSCN2731.JPGDSCN2733.JPG

The sides of the case were joined simply with 4d fine finish nails. Now in order to provide strength you can make nails perform the tasks of dovetails by angling them. When using cut nails it is important to angle them so that they won't split the piece. This is done by placing the wedging action along the grain line and not perpendicular to it.

DSCN2734.JPGDSCN2736.JPG

The top and bottom of the box use battens to keep the thin stock flat and to support the box. It also keeps the bottom off the floor and makes the box very easy to pick up. Also the top and bottom consist of two pieces of wood, however, it is only a dry joint and the battens hold the two pieces together. The nails through the battens are clinched in order to secure them tightly to the top. I think this box has a ton of nails in it.

DSCN2737.JPGDSCN2739.JPG

The bottom was nailed on. In the book the top was nailed on after the books were placed in it for transport. However, I left my top loose for now. I take a lot of woodworking classes and I think this will be a great box to carry my chisels and other miscellaneous small tools. In the book Chris mentioned that he might put strap hinges and a hasp on it. I think I will do the same and turn it into a nice little travel box. If you are looking for a great afternoon project this might be right up your alley.

DSCN2740.JPG