LN Scraper plane No. 112

ShaunHarper

I just purchased this scraper plane. I own card scrapers and a refurbished Stanley #80. It comes with a very thick blade and instructions that recommend a 45 degree bevel and no hook. Everything I read including a recent Popular Woodworking magazine article recommend a hook, albeit with older Stanley models and thinner blades. So far all I have gotten is dust and tiny shavings. Nothing close to what I get with my other scrapers. I honed the bevel to a fine polish but now I am leaning toward adding a hook. Any suggestions?

I just purchased this scraper plane. I own card scrapers and a refurbished Stanley #80. It comes with a very thick blade and instructions that recommend a 45 degree bevel and no hook. Everything I read including a recent Popular Woodworking magazine article recommend a hook, albeit with older Stanley models and thinner blades. So far all I have gotten is dust and tiny shavings. Nothing close to what I get with my other scrapers. I honed the bevel to a fine polish but now I am leaning toward adding a hook. Any suggestions?

Shaun,

I think the reason they don't recomend a hook, is because the blade on the LN scraper place is so thick, that you can's bend it like you would a normal card scraper, or a cabinet scraper (#80), thus you can't really pinpoint the cutting action as you would a normal scraper.

Try sharpening it exactly the same way you would sharpen a hand plane blade - It should be razor sharp... I mean, you could actually shave with it.

Then once it's back in the plane, raise the angle up. Rather than having the 10-15 degree forward slant, try starting out at 3 to 4 degrees slanted, and see what happens.

I also have the Lee Valley Scraper plane, and on that one I do use a hook, but the blade, while still very thick, is only about half the thickness of the LN plane, and I can still bend/bow it a bit.

Hope this helps,

-gp

I also have the Lee Valley Scraper plane, and on that one I do use a hook, but the blade, while still very thick, is only about half the thickness of the LN plane, and I can still bend/bow it a bit.

Oh, wow, didn't realize it was that much thicker. I do hone mine to maintain the bevel then hit it with the Veritas variable burnisher (barely fits), but I do get a hook.

Oh, wow, didn't realize it was that much thicker. I do hone mine to maintain the bevel then hit it with the Veritas variable burnisher (barely fits), but I do get a hook.

Oh, I bet the LN is a good 1/8 inch thick. Really is more of a super high angle plane than a scraper.

And, for what it's worth, the LN 112 blade will slip right into the Lee Valley large scraper plane - Perfect fit. I use the heck out of it on Quarter sawn white oak

Best,

Gregory Paolini

Yeah the Lee Valley one by default comes with a scraper that can take the bend in it. They also sell a thicker add on blade that probably works in the same manner as the Lie-Nielsen (in that it doesn't take the bend).