Hitting the Street - talking to shops

dvan1901

I'm in the process of building a couple pieces that I would like to sell and use as a sort of portfolio, beyond items I have already built. I'm wondering, how many of you have taken some of your items to your local shops to see if they would be interested in carrying your items? I'm thinking things like end tables, sofa table, small boxes, clocks...things like that. Thoughts? Ideas?

I'm in the process of building a couple pieces that I would like to sell and use as a sort of portfolio, beyond items I have already built. I'm wondering, how many of you have taken some of your items to your local shops to see if they would be interested in carrying your items? I'm thinking things like end tables, sofa table, small boxes, clocks...things like that. Thoughts? Ideas?

Worked for me: http://djofurnituremaker.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/a-year-in-the-life-of-chapter-2/

Hi Dvan

I contacted shop owners in my area by phone to schedule a time to talk with them. I told them who I am and what I do as well as the projects I am currently working on. I asked if they could spend a few minutes of their time with me to talk about design details I had questions about. Once I was with them in person talking about the piece I asked them if they would be interested in placing a finished piece in their store. If you break this down you see a few points.

1. I called on shop owners that are in my local area. This means we have our business / living community in common.

2. I asked for ideas from the owners. This get's them not only involved but more interested in the piece.

3. What the shop owners and I have now developed is a working relationship. They are now more open to developing this further since both them and I could benefit.

• Like 1

DJO brings up a point that I took a long time to learn, and still have trouble with...

Even when I'm certain that I know exactly how to do something, and I have the design all worked out and I'm happy with it, ask the "customers" for input and suggestions. Because, then it's our project, not his project, from their point of view.