Jewelry box

timmcal

This is a box that I made for my daughter. It will hang on the wall once her room is finished. It is made from red oak and popular. The rose inlay on the right side was originally going to be the left and so it is too far to the left. The roses didn’t match the curve of the case so I switched it and didn’t have time to make another. I am still very new to woodworking and often have better ideas then I have the ability, but I am learning more with each project.post-3521-0-74826800-1295644544_thumb.jp

Looks good to me! I'm pretty new myself, so I haven't even tried to tackle inlay yet. I think its funny that as woodworkers the first thing we do when we show off our pieces is point out what we thought we did wrong. Anyway, you did a great job. I'm sure your daughter loves it!

• 2 weeks later...

I see what you're saying about the rose on the right door, but I need to tell you something. If you hadn't said anything, I probably wouldn't have noticed. If I had noticed, it likely wouldn't have bothered me. Consider instead all the success you had with the box and brag about that instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I agree about the inlay position not being noticeable and even after you mentioned it I'm still not bothered at all by it. The stain color is what I would change.

I notice your comments on a few projects now seem to relate to finish and color. I personally think that while stain choice can make or break a project, for some people finishing in general seems to be the hardest part of the project.