Cantilevered leg desk that ended up not really being cantilevered...

MisterDrow

Just now, Eric. said:

I think I'd be more comfortable if they were pinned bridle joints.  I feel like M&T could fail there eventually.  As long as no one sits on it you're probably okay.

The original plan was to do drawbored tenons but due to my lack of experience in that area and the short timeframe I had to complete this project I went with straight bridle joints.

Just now, wdwerker said:

Wider, bigger joints or knee braces is what I would have done from the beginning. Live and learn.

Final table looks good !

Yeah, it was a learning process and, like I said, there are definitely things I would do differently if I could go back. That all being said, my friend is happy and I have another project (and some learning) under my belt.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric. said:

The pins would be a huge asset in a situation like that.  It's too late for drawbored pins but you could always go back and add a couple walnut dowels at each joint if you're nervous about it.

the vertical braces we put in took care of the issue. The joints were holding strong on their own but it just didn't sit flat and wanted to deflect downward in the front when heavy weight was placed on it. The vertical braces were a quick solution to this problem that he was willing to live with. I definitely want to look into cantilevered legs a bit more, though, and see what I can do differently in the future. I wanted to make some small desks with that style of legs that my kids could use while sitting on their bed or a couch. They will be much smaller but I'll definitely design them differently when the time comes.

On 9/5/2017 at 2:13 PM, Eric. said:

As long as no one sits on it you're probably okay.

After we reinforced it he goes, "I'm going to sit on it. Are you nervous?" I said, "Nope. Go for it." He did, it held beautifully, and then he stood up. I then said, "You know how I said I wasn't nervous? I lied. I was terrified."

• Like 1