How do you store your planes?

JimB1

Since starting to build a collection of planes, I've been told various things to do and not to do in caring for them. One of the interesting ones is not to set them down on the sole when not in use because it can dull the blade.

So how do you store your hand planes? Have you found a good way that still keeps them handy for use and easy to tell which you are grabbing? I am not getting show pieces but working tools so being able to differentiate between them quickly (is that a #3 or #4 smoother, low angle block or regular block?, etc) and get to them easily and safely (not balanced on top of cabinets or blades facing where you can cut yourself on them) is a challenge.

Let me know what you do...

Thanks

-Jim

You don't need to worry about setting the plane down on its sole. If you put the plane on its side, you run the risk of slicing your hand if you accidentally bump up against the sole. And if your plane iron is so fragile that it will lose its edge by putting it down on a wooden workbench top, you need to get a new plane iron.

Most plane storage methods I've seen involve storing the planes vertically, like this:

cb_wln_cab08.jpg

They are usually on a ramped surface, or using cleats to hold them in place. It's easy to see which plane is which by the length.

An alternative is to store the planes on their sides:

cab%204.JPG

I go for vertical plane storage, myself, but this might not be what you had in mind (lower right corner). ;)

IMG_5827.JPG

Hi Jim

When you put your plane down on the sole just rest the heal on something to raise the blade up .For storage on a shelf just put a small batton near the front edge to keep the heal up. Also when planing as you pull the plane back lift it up to save dulling the blade and a small amount of candle wax on the sole cuts the friction.

You don't need to worry about setting the plane down on its sole. If you put the plane on its side, you run the risk of slicing your hand if you accidentally bump up against the sole. And if your plane iron is so fragile that it will lose its edge by putting it down on a wooden workbench top, you need to get a new plane iron.

Most plane storage methods I've seen involve storing the planes vertically, like this:

cb_wln_cab08.jpg

They are usually on a ramped surface, or using cleats to hold them in place. It's easy to see which plane is which by the length.

An alternative is to store the planes on their sides:

cab%204.JPG

I go for vertical plane storage, myself, but this might not be what you had in mind (lower right corner). ;)

IMG_5827.JPG

You know if you take those blocks of wood on the lower right corner of the wall and cut em down to the same size, they would be a much nicer display! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OTOH, I build a plane board, simply a piece of plywood mounted to the wall, on which I crafted a cradle for the heel of the plane, and a cradle for the toe end of the plane. Simply push the plane up when its at rest, and slightly pull the bottom back and down, and the plane is free and clear. Simple and easy.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/Rastro59/_DSC6566.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/Rastro59/_DSC6565.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/Rastro59/_DSC6564.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/Rastro59/_DSC6563.jpg

Its handy, and its quick to make.

Roger

OTOH, I build a plane board, simply a piece of plywood mounted to the wall, on which I crafted a cradle for the heel of the plane, and a cradle for the toe end of the plane. Simply push the plane up when its at rest, and slightly pull the bottom back and down, and the plane is free and clear. Simple and easy.

_DSC6566.jpg

Roger's plane storage was exactly what I was thinking about when I mentioned using cleats to hold planes in place. I just couldn't find good picture to illustrate this method. Thanks, Roger!

You know if you take those blocks of wood on the lower right corner of the wall and cut em down to the same size, they would be a much nicer display! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But then they would look just like a bunch of sanding blocks line up in a row. ;)

i have a bit of a crude system. i dont have a picture yet, but all i did was buy i magnetic strip from home depot and screwed it to the wall behind my bench. i only have 2 hand planes, but i also have my hand chisels on it too. just be careful you dont hit the blade on the metal part of the magnet. it stores everything vertically and it is close to the work. works good for me.

I only have two (for now) so I don't have much issue with storage. The block plane stays in it's nylon sock/sheath/whatever, and it rests on the same shelf as the #4 Great Neck bench plane my father got me. One thing I do, however, before storing the plane, is retract the blade fully.

As both planes are supposed to sit level (meaning flat on a shelf, not vertical or at an angle), I'd rather retract the blades for both safety and stability during storage. I tend to clutter the shelf badly, as it's ended up as the "junk drawer" shelf: that store-all area because there isn't anywhere else to store it.

As for it being convenient and close to the bench, well, you haven't seen my shop. Nothing is convenient. Even the light pull chain.