Neglected plane rehab....

trad4life

Hi Everybody - Great forum, very helpful! I was hoping to get some advice regarding this stanley plane I found recently. It has some pretty severe rust and pitting on the heel of the sole. The rust had built up heavily so I used sandpaper on glass to try and get the sole back to flat, but the back edge appeared to be too far gone. I don't own any planes so I'm unfamiliar with what's expected of a decent working plane. With a sharp iron would you consider this a serviceable plane or is it due for retirement? Thanks for any and all advice.

-Cheers, Craig

post-3271-0-51053600-1297865701_thumb.jp

post-3271-0-38567700-1297865785_thumb.jp

I'd use that as a scrub plane. It's an inexpensive jack that you could use with a cambered blade. If you had to open the mouth a bit with a file, I don't think you'd have to feel too badly about it. I'd use it on pieces where you didn't take enough off with a saw and have to bring down 1/4 to 1/8 inch quickly. Since it's hard to tell whether the sole is flat we can't say that it would be any good for accurate small scale joinery, but as long as the pitting is such that there's some surface there to act as an accurate reference, there's no reason it couldn't be as accurate as any other jack in better condition. Could you use it on the bottom of a too-long door? Yeah, I'll bet you could. Should you use it as a smoother? Hmm. Naah.