Best way to finish a big (6'x4') piece of raw pine for outdoor use

Eddy K.

Hi,

I cut down a big Monterrey pine last year, and I'm trying to turn one of the larger pieces into an outdoor table.  I left the bottom-most section of the tree as a single piece (about 6' tall) and cut it down the middle.  It's about 4' diameter.  So, I'm left with a flat surface that's about 6'x4'.  The original cut was with a chainsaw.  Then I switched to a planer.  I'll finish off with a sander.

What are recommendations to finish this piece so that I can leave it outside (in the sun)?  I've been reading various online articles, and this is what I've gathered so far:

- shellac all around the piece (for the smooth top as well as unfinished bottom).  The shellac seems best for pieces that are still releasing sap.

- polyurethane (3-4 layers) for the top (finished) side.

- CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) for the bottom (unfinished) part of the piece.  This is the part of the wood which originally was covered with bark.  I have cut off a section of the bottom so that that piece can sit flat on the ground.

Does anyone have any better suggestions to treat this piece?

Thanks,

Eddy K.

Pine is not particularly resistant to weather or insects. I would recommend keeping it off the ground, using a metal, stone, or concrete base structure. Also, you have a thick piece of 'green' timber, which will dry unevenly if left exposed, and very likely crack. In my limited experience, softwoods do better than hardwoods in this situation, but still. I would suggest keeping it out of direct sun, and rain if possible. And I would say to use something like Thompson's or similar deck sealer, which doesn't form a hard film but will aid in repelling water. Shellac, poly, and epoxy film finishes will crack and peel away as the wood dries and shrinks.

Thanks wtnhighlander!

I appreciate the advice.  Given that I don't have much more that I can do with this piece, and I've already spent a few hours smoothing out the top side, I'm inclined to keep going with the project.  I got your point about film finishes.  I had read that elsewhere and thought that 18 months of "curing" in the sunlight might be enough.  It has cracked a bit but no warping so far.

Anyway, based on your advice, I'll go with a sealer like: https://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/ultra-premium-red-label-wood-stain

and just seal the heck out of it (especially the two ends).  I'll also try to raise it on some sort of a metal structure to give it better stability and so it doesn't sit in any prolonged water.  If I can get ~10 years out of the piece, I'll be happy.

Thanks again.