Bandsaw for resawing

adamnolen

I'm looking for a bandsaw with a good resaw capacity. Everything I am seeing is 6" or so. I know I can install a riser block to some of these, but I've seen where alot of people don't like the riser blocks because of the saw's frame not being strong enough to hold tension and such. My question: Do you guys know where I could get a decent bandsaw with a good resaw capacity without breaking the bank? I really wasn't wanting to spend $1000 on a bandsaw. Also, how much horsepower should I look for in a bandsaw that is going to be used for resawing?

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately unless you can find a steal on a used bandsaw decent and cheap don't go very well together when looking for a resaw bandsaw. Any name brands will run you around $1000. Off brands can get you a little cheaper but my 2hp, 18" Busy Bee (Canada) was a grand. It does a respectable job, hasn't bogged down and offers 1/4" to 1 1/4" blades but the length is oddball.

Good luck in your quest.