To finish before glue up or after?

Ben@FineWoodworking

So I am doing my first REAL project. Not gonna rush it... not gonna get stingy when it comes to thought and planning.

I'm doing a new desk for my studio. Basically a desk with wide legs (bases) that my computer and some recording gear will go in. The bases are basically skinny cabinets. The inside will be 10 1/2" wide. All of the pieces for the bases are cut, dado'd and rabbeted.

My original goal was to have the bases assembled today but now I am thinking I should probably finish the interior (at least) before glue up because I can't imagine being able to do it well after the fact.

I'm going to go ahead and call it a day right now because I don't have the finish on hand.

Should I get the finish and do it tomorrow or go ahead and glue up?

I vote for stain the wood first. Be sure not to stain anything that will get glue. The fit with your dados might get tight because of wood expansion with the stain. That happened to me with sliding dovetails. I had a great fit. Stained the pieces. Then I had to beat it together. Epoxy didn't give even me enough slip. Tapered next time.

Have fun!

Doug

Sorry for the late response, but I didn't get back until tonight.

No, just stain. Poly once everything is together. You may need to adjust and restain a spot/corner after you put it together. But that shouldn't be the case. If you just use stain, you can make those touch ups easier than if you did the poly too.

Good luck!