Small Shop Dust Collection

rawls

I have a basement shop that is probably about 10x20, very small. In the summer I like to sand outside, I have a nice bulkhead door that opens into my backyard (useful for getting stuff in and out), but in the winter or when it rains I am stuck indoors. The shop is really small, so a full ductwork dust collection system will likely make tight quarters even tight (I do have a lot of overhead space, though, as the ceilings are about 9 feet high). Most of the dust is generated by four machines: a miter saw, a table saw, a router or planer, and my various hand power sanders. So the question is should I opt for a small stationary unit, one that likely will hang on a wall or live under my bench, or should I get a portable unit like the ones available from Festool or Fein?

• Can you build a tiny shed, or just an awning outside, and put a dust collector outside? That would save room in your shop, reduce noise in your shop, reduce dust in your lungs, and reduce filtering needed (which saves money, improves airflow, and reduces the need to clean/change the filter). Drawbacks are that it pulls heated or cooled air out of your shop, and can pull combustion gases out of your chimney into your shop if you don't provide replacement air.
  • Getting a stationary unit with flex hose can be really convenient. I'm using Rockler's quick-connect system and I just "plug-in" the DC to whatever tool I'm using. But the flex hose reduces air-flow, so I'd only recommend that if your longest run will be very short. Can you put the DC right in the middle of your shop?
  • It sounds like you'll get a small unit regardless, so I figure you might as well get it on wheels. That way it can be stationary if that works, and can move if you change your mind. I haven't tried one, but I can't see a wall mounted unit working any better than a shop-vac, as opposed to a dust collector.

Jet and Grizzly both have smaller, "portable" units that roll to wherever they are needed. Delta has a larger small unit that appears to be a smaller version of the "stereotypical" DC unit. Harbor Freight has a pair of small units that are little more than an leaf blower without tubing. All of these are in the 1 - 1 1/2 HP range.

(Can you tell what I've been looking at lately?)

Even the 2 - 3 HP units should have casters on their bases, so you can move them (if you needed to) from tool to tool. I'd recommend adding a separator, either home made or the plastic units that both Woodcraft and Rockler sell, and moving the impeller to the metal ring (eliminating one bend of flexible ductwork) so you can put all the collection (dust and chips) on one platform.

I recently came to the reluctant conclusion that the location I wanted to put my DC in was less than optimal. And, unfortunately, there is inadequate sound insulation in the house to put it in either of the three alternate locations. So I am planning on moving the DC from tool to tool. For that, I should not need more than 1 HP, and can get away with that plastic separator lid on the trash can.