Rubio Maintenance Oil

sparkplug62

I just used Rubio Monacoat on a table top. First time using this type product (wish I would have watched this video first) Will try Natura Onecoat next time. 

Anyway, in an early video showing using the 2c system, he applied a coat of Rubio Maintenance oil 24hrs later. Question. Can I apply more than one coat of the maintenance oil and if so, will that help at all with liquids on the table top? 

On 8/21/2023 at 1:11 PM, sparkplug62 said:

Can I apply more than one coat of the maintenance oil and if so, will that help at all with liquids on the table top? 

Yes, and no idea. My advice is to apply one coat due to cost. If liquids create an issue the benefit to rubio is you can scuff just the effected area and do a quick easy spot fix.

If you wanted a liquid bullet proof finish hard wax oils aren't the route to go, poly or lacquer are FAR more durable just harder to fix. My main dining table is covered in Minwax wipe on poly and i need to scoff the finish and re coat the table, but it's taken nearly 5 years of abuse.

Thank you for the reply. Not looking for bullet proof just thinking a little more oil would help with protection a bit more. I like the idea of being able to easily make repairs. I actually already made a repair and loved the ease of how that works. Can't even tell where I did it. 

I will do one coat and see how things go over the next year or so. 

Thanks again. 

23 hours ago, sparkplug62 said:

Thank you for the reply. Not looking for bullet proof just thinking a little more oil would help with protection a bit more. I like the idea of being able to easily make repairs. I actually already made a repair and loved the ease of how that works. Can't even tell where I did it. 

I will do one coat and see how things go over the next year or so. 

Thanks again. 

I was reading out of context sorry. There are loads of products that aim to turn the hardwax oils into poly and laquer but for huge costs and with potentially harmful compounds.

I see the maintenance oil as an every 1-3 year application depending on use. Not entirely sure the chemical makeup of the oil but I'd wage a strong bet that all the liquid resistance is in the finish application not the maintenance oil.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 1:11 AM, sparkplug62 said:

I just used Rubio Monacoat on a table top. First time using this type product (wish I would have watched this video first) Will try Natura Onecoat next time. 

Anyway, in an early video showing using the 2c system, he applied a coat of Rubio Maintenance oil 24hrs later. Question. Can I apply more than one coat of the maintenance oil and if so, will that help at all with liquids on the table top? 

I think it is fine to apply more than one coat maintenance oil. Applying multiple coats of maintenance oil can enhance the durability and water resistance of the finish.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:11 AM, sparkplug62 said:

pizza tower

Moreover, as I know, Rubio Monocoat already provides a certain level of water resistance. However, additional coats of maintenance oil can further improve the protection against liquids.