Spraying without an HVLP?

JonHitThingWithRock

Hello everyone

beginning woodworker here, I was wondering if there are any guns out there that i could simply plug into my air compressor and spray some water-based finish with (minwax poly-crylic, in this instance), an HVLP would be nice, but they're expensive and take up precious space. I've got a good sized air compressor (21 gallons), and would love it if it could pull double-duty. I tried to look this up through a google search, but every result i got was related to waterbourne automotive paint application.

The reason i'm wondering is that there apparently isn't any way to wipe water-based, and my brushing skills are rather good with paint, but useless with finishes (for reasons i don't quite understand), I've tried just slopping it on and wiping off the excess, but that only seems to works for the first coat, on subsequent coats it seems like i'm wiping off all the finish, maybe i'm just crazy. So spraying seems the most logical way to go for these and many other reasons.

Thanks in advance

Jon

I know little about this subject, but recently had reason to do some research on the subject. It sounds like you might want an HVLP gun that you can use with your compressor. Something like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...1886749&sr=1-17

I am not specifically recommending that one, since I haven't used it, but it was the first one I came across after reading your post. One of the reviewers even mentioned getting good results with the polycrylic you mentioned. There are many other similar guns available across a wide range of prices and features.

If you really don't want HVLP at all (and weren't simply referring to the stand-alone units that include a complete blower and gun package), I recently purchased an old fashioned siphon feed gun that worked very well at spraying shellac. I went this route because my tiny air compressor would not provide enough air for the HVLP gun. This is the unit I got:

http://www.amazon.co...01889301&sr=1-1

I actually have an inexpensive turbine HVLP system, but the manufacturer says not to use it with shellac because the alcohol can have a negative effect on some of the plastic internal parts. Even some of the more expensive ones have that problem, but don't specifically mention it in their literature. So the cheap old fashioned unit was the way to go for me with the shellac.

I have an LVLP gun from Jeff Jewitt. It works well on the same compressor you have (21 gallon; assuming HF so same SCFM). It is relatively expensive, though, by the time you buy all the parts. For the price, the Earlex would be a little more but likely a lot better (I haven't used the Earlex).

Charles Neil sprays a lot, previously in the autobody field and now as a woodworker. He's sold on the Woodriver conversion guns. He's sponsored by Woodcraft, but I genuinely believe he's sold on this gun. It looks remarkably similar to mine and has the same specifications. Except with Woodcraft's buying power, they are $35. I would definitely go this route.

Fill the cup with water and practice with it. The pressure you need and monkeying around with knobs is all different for these guns. I shot a couple cups of water on the driveway to see how the coverage and spray pattern works when I first got mine.

You'll want a small pressure regulator near the gun. I put mine on the end of the air hose then attached the gun's whip to it. That keeps the regulator close but not too close.

Buy filters for water-based finishes and use them. One bit of crud in the finish and it'll spray horribly and you'll have to make cookies for all your neighbors within earshot. (that means get the cleaning kit)

Let us know later how it works for you and maybe some details about your compressor. This question comes up often.

Will do, as far as the compressor goes, it's a horrible harbor freight job (from back before i knew better than to buy things from harbor freight), all the dials and fittings and hoses and such are from home depot, as none of the original stuff worked right, or it cracked while tightening it... When this one dies, i'll probably get a Craftsman or Husky or Dewault of roughly the same size. even thinking about building a dynamat "closet" for it to live in so i don't have to listen to it, maybe build it attached to the outside the garage along with a sort of thin shed.... but i digress

Thanks again!

Jon