3phase motor on an ebay bought DC

elwoodblues

3 phase motors are great. I don't think the best thing to do here is replace the motor, but simply to convert phase. There's two ways to do this, Phase converts, and VFDs (variable frequency drives). If you google around on those topics, you should be able to find a lot of information.

So just a couple miles away a guy sold a Cincinnati Dust Collector on Ebay. I bought the item for only 21 dollars since it was a local pickup and we're out in the boonies. The item looks in great shape, except for the motor is 3phase. Anybody have good resources on finding 1hp - 1.5hp single phase motors? I checked Ebay, but not sure if I want to spend the 150-200 dollars it seems to get a single phase in that range at 3450 rpms.

If the motor is equal to or less than 3 hp then your best bet is to use a VFD. If it is greater then 3hp then you are going to need a RPC (Rotary Phase Converter) which can be expensive. VFD's however are cheap and easy to hook up. I've hooked up 2 VFD's now and have essentially zero electrical experience. For the first one I needed to ask a few questions on a forum I frequent for restoring old woodworking machines but that was the extent of my difficulties. A 1hp VFD costs about 100 dollars.