Engraving or something else?

chuck27p

I have made a nice cutting board, cut to size, sanded, rounded corners, etc. But it's a little boring. It's a gift, so I'd like to put a monogram on it. I want to do a nice letter S. My plan is to print it from the computer and trace it onto the wood using graphite paper. I have that step down. But then what? I have been researching many options and I just can't find the best one. I have looked at:

- wood burning

- engraving

- inlay

I really want it to look somewhat professional, and not have jagged free-hand lines all over the place. Any thoughts or ideas on what I should do? I'm not liking the wood burning and I'm concerned about engraving. I just don't know what direction to go.

Thanks!

I have made a nice cutting board, cut to size, sanded, rounded corners, etc. But it's a little boring. It's a gift, so I'd like to put a monogram on it. I want to do a nice letter S. My plan is to print it from the computer and trace it onto the wood using graphite paper. I have that step down. But then what? I have been researching many options and I just can't find the best one. I have looked at:

- wood burning

- engraving

- inlay

I really want it to look somewhat professional, and not have jagged free-hand lines all over the place. Any thoughts or ideas on what I should do? I'm not liking the wood burning and I'm concerned about engraving. I just don't know what direction to go.

Thanks!

For a cutting board, I would go with inlay. With engraving or woodburning, eventually, when the board needs to be resurfaced, the monogram may disfigure or disappear. As long as the inlay is 1/4" or more, it shouldn't be a problem for a long time. Make the inlay piece first, then using light tack double sided tape, tape it into position and use an xacto knfe to scribe closely around it. Use a router or laminate trimmer to rout out as much as you can, the a chisel or gouge to sneak up to your scribed line. test fit many times. When it just fits, glue and clamp. Scrape or sand flush, and finish, and wait for the applause!