blue pine advise so far love the natural dye on boards

duckkisser

Anyone done any work with blue pine? If you don’t know what that is, blue pine is regular pine that is stained blue from blue mold. Its none toxic and it is not any different from regular pine it has just been dyed from nature. The dying is different with each board it can be grey, blue, black, reds, yellow or any combination of those colors. The dye job can be in streaks, swirls, spots or solid boards.

What I was wondering if anyone had done any regular work with blue pine and can give me some advise with staining and finishes so far I have just done clear coats to bring out the cool patterns

http://kayamaka.com/rough%20cut.html (some blue pine boards)

Kinda looks like the beetle kill stuff from here (Trail BC) been a market for it because it has that coloring not sure if that is the same stuff if so treat it like pine. I used clear oil based poly on it. On a few pieces I used some dark stain applied and wiped fairly quickly it appeared to absorb it evenly but it did not have much time to absorb. Wanted to blend some of the lighter parts into the blues and grays. Covered that with oil based poly. Looked good to me. Never used any dies. The stuff in the pics looks darker than most of the stuff I had. Tried a bit of water based poly on it too and that kinda set off the blues. Hope this helps.

Thats exactly what it looks like Joe.

The unfortunate part of this unique wood is that vast tracts of British Columbia soft wood is desimated by the pine beetle that produces this wood. A friend of mine who lives in Fort St. John (northern BC) said one day there were so many beetles falling out of the sky it sounded like hail on his hanger roof.

The beetle has killed standing timber that is a huge forest fire risk and can't be felled and harvested fast enough to get to what market we have left here in BC for soft wood export.

• Like 1

I love the look of it I just wish that it didn't have to decimate whole forests one good thing is that it is still new to the market that people don't know what to expect when I make my boxes out of it. Plus alot of contractors are Leary of using it so it get stacked to the side and I am able to pick it up for a song.

• 3 months later...

Pine beetles have pretty much decimated a lot of the forest land around here, too. "Environmentalists" insisted the forest couldn't be harvested in an attempt to stem the spread because ONE spotted owl was seen on a 1000+ acre tract. Just about decimated the school that owns the land, too. They used the sale of harvested timber to help fund the school.