Bowl Blanks

billboard

How do you get your bowl blanks? Do you trim them with a chain saw from a log or just buy them pre-round at the store.

I first split mine with a chain saw. Find the center of the half and drill a hole, insert a pin and load it into a jig

I made for the bandsaw. I then feed it into the blade and then spin it around making a nice round, blank. It saves a

lot of time and doesn't beat me to death on the lathe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guess I am the only lazy one here... I go to the local woodworking tool store and dig through the "bargain wood" bin. They get a lot of "leftovers" from the local lumber mill that they coat in wax and check in the bin to sell for a couple of bucks a piece. I have found some really nice sycamore and ambrosia maple pieces in there.

Some of the turners here in NW Indiana go to the city wood refuge area. Seems some of the towns have an area where they drop off all cut down trees and collected limbs. With a little questioning you can find who to talk to. Then you can get in there and collect whatever wood you want.

Phil Malavolta

NW Indiana