Went to menards to spend .49 cents walked out $70.00 poorer

duckkisser

Super excited went to the box lumber store to buy a .49 cent thimb screw and spent 70 dollers. I usualy avoid the rows of lumber at menards and lowes becase i will spend all day shifting through the wood to buy one board.But today i said what the heck and made a beeline for the lumber rows. And right on top was 7 fantastinc boards from same tree. Every once in a while ill see a board with tiny pin size knot holes all over it creating speckling and marbling. But low and behold there was 7 and on top of that they were covered in blue sworrels from the blue pine beatle. Im so excited that i cant stand the fact that i have to let them aclimate to the shop and completly dry out because it started to rain on way home. It just makes me sick how thirsty kiln dried wood is and how easily it can be warped.

I did something similar the other day... I went in for two screws and one nut, and walked out with 4 feet of 1/2" PVC, a bag of fittings (that don't fit the PVC), two tubes of different wood stabilizer, and a cart full of other stuff... Not quite your level of expense, but it all fit in the back seat of the car.

(I also didn't have the benefit of finding really good wood examples like you did... I tend to avoid the indoor lumber yards because of the fact I drive a car. Hmmm, maybe it's a good thing I don't own a truck...)

I did something similar the other day... I went in for two screws and one nut, and walked out with 4 feet of 1/2" PVC, a bag of fittings (that don't fit the PVC), two tubes of different wood stabilizer, and a cart full of other stuff... Not quite your level of expense, but it all fit in the back seat of the car.

(I also didn't have the benefit of finding really good wood examples like you did... I tend to avoid the indoor lumber yards because of the fact I drive a car. Hmmm, maybe it's a good thing I don't own a truck...)

Love my truck but kinda pain everyone wants me to help them move

hehehe just showed off my wood(And I mean lumber for you gutter thinkers out there) to a wood worker down the street and he offered to buy my boards for 100 dollers I was tempted because I dont realy have 70 to spend but I decided I would eat hot dogs for a few weeks and keep my wood to pound something out off. (ya I said it and I mean hammering)

Some times you get lucky. I got a nice birds eye maple board a couple of weeks ago from home depot. When I go I swing through the lumber section just in case.

You got maple at a home depot???! My HD only carries pine, red oak, and poplar.....none are exactly 'exotic'.

i have some inturesting luck at menards. unfortunatly they sometimes stock lesser quality wood things with lots of nots and so much grain that they warp under there own weight but then again if im making a box i use the realy twisty grain from a piece of pine to make some very cool pannels or legs because often i get some very unique grain and color patterns. the best luck i have had has been in the culled section where i get a board with lots of defects like split nots, seperating heart of boards ect(but i need a challenge to overcome). and minards has lots of artistic wood like cherry, maple, walnut but you pay a arm and a leg for them. still prefer air dried small mill work now that is some real artistic lumber because they will jump at a challenge to make you some wood that is spectacular.

You guys are lucky. My Menards and Home Depot are across the street from each other, and both of them carry garbage lumber. Closest "good" lumber is an hour drive :(

Shop around at small lumber mills you can get some great air dried lumber that is usual a full 1 inch or thicker gor a quarter of the price because it is both air dried and rough cut.