drawbore pins

outofstepper

I'd like to fool around a bit with a drawbore or two but i do not have drawbore pins.

I'm wondering: are these simply to test the joint before you commit.. or do they serve

some purpose inside the bore (chamfer sharp edges?) that I'm unaware of?

I'm working on a butcher's block with some stout legs (4" top / 3"x3" legs) .. if the

drawbore works out for me I think it would be a great way to ensure long(er) lasting

mortise and tenon joints below given the abuse this thing will go through.

-Tony

They're not strictly required, but are very handy for test fitting the joint. They do ease the passage of the pin, but if you have a riven oak peg with a nice sharp point, I havn't found it necessary. That said, I have not tried to drawbore in anything brittle, it could be helpful there.

Some folks like them for testing the joint. I just like hand pressure to test the fit. I figure if the joint doesn't close tight with hand pressure, something is keeping it from closing and the peg isn't going to make it close any tighter without some adjustment. You can just use a couple clamps to test the fit too. I've used drawbore pins and while some may find them convenient, I found them completely unnecessary.