New jointer

I just got myself what I believe to be a great deal on a jointer. $225 for a brand new in box 8" jointer by the same manufacturer as grizzly, without the grizzly name. And I knew it'd be heavy, but DAMN! I don't quite have it together yet, so I can't post a picture right now, but what do you guys think of the price for what I got?

Sounds like a great deal! By the way, based on the description on the box, can you tell what Grizzly model number it compares to? Here’s the least expensive model of Grizzly 8” jointers.

I think its an older model because the manual smelled a touch musty, and it was from a retired hardware store owner, so it probably spent a good 5-6 years in the box. Also, the thing is missing the part that allows the fence to attach to the slider bolt. This jointer allows the fence to slide across the table, what purpose does this serve other than possibly spreading the wear of edge jointing... odd... I'll have some pictures up later

Rabetting edges, but I don't know anyone who uses a jointer for that. People generally use a router (with an guide bearing or in a table), or a table saw with a dado blade and a sacrificial fence.

Ah, I see. I've just never seen someone use a jointer like that until now and my manual leaves a lot to be desired.

I always slide my jointer fence back and forth really as a safety mechanism. In the same way you don't raise your table saw blade higher than necessary, the more spinning blade you have exposed in the jointer is also a potential hazard. So if I'm edge jointing a board, I slide the fence most of the way in. The only time I expose the full 8" of blade is when face jointing wide boards.

I am now in the process of tuning it up, not real fun since its 97°F out in the garage, and looking at it I don't see a way to adjust the corners. The only height adjustment for the tables is just the standard height wheel. I do see two screws on the back of the jointer, which seem to match up to the sliding dovetail track that has another strip of metal at an angle in the track against the table, from what I can tell, I could be wrong though... The manual is in half broken English and is missing parts, not pages, parts. Also I think my fence may be torqued a tad. This could just be the fact the fence only attaches on the front of the infeed table and receives no support along its length and is tilting at the end, but the end's tilt is opposite of the front's. If I get the end at 90° the front is at an obtuse angle to the table, conversely if I get the front at 90° then the end is at an acute angle to the table. The fence is solid cast iron and quite thick so I don't think it warped, its not corroded in anyway either. I just thought of this now, but its probably that the tables aren't coplanar or something since the fence tilts along the end of the infeed table as shown in the pictures. So would anyone happen to know how to adjust the corners, other than possibly smacking it with a hammer and hope for the best?

post-3383-0-44707100-1309551887_thumb.jp

post-3383-0-50125800-1309551902_thumb.jp

post-3383-0-11334600-1309551923_thumb.jp

post-3383-0-09060000-1309551936_thumb.jp