Spindle Turning...

sbarton22

So I am just beginning to learn the lathe. My mentor started teaching me spindle turning and said we would work towards bowls and the like. No problem. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't need to learn to master a goose neck gouge on my first day.

With that said, what are some ideas that folks have made using just spindle turning techniques (by that, I mean the piece is held on the faceplate side as well as the live center and only the "outside" is carved)?

Sure, a fella can make a candlestick or two.

If it fit into some other project, a spindle or ballaster type of thing could be something.

I suppose pens are pretty cool.

After that, I'm at a loss for ideas of things to make for practice. Any ideas??

Carvers mallet, rolling pins, salt and pepper mills, apples, pears, plums, eggs are excellent practice. Once you have also got the equipment and knowledge for holding end grain cylinders and blanks in a chuck you expand the possibilities into all manor of items such as boxes, goblets, vases, egg cups, I will dig out a couple of suitable project reference books for you later but bear in mind that many projects will involve spindle turning as part of the overall project such as stretchers and and legs for stools and chairs.

Have fun turning and I will get back to you with more ideas and references.

Whitebeam

Sorry for the delay, however, here are three books that will really get you started.

Turning Projects by Richard Raffan (DVD also available) ISBN 0-942391-38-1

Fine Woodworking on Spindle Turning ISBN 0-918804-73-6 (this has projects, ideas, and practices that may interest you and give you alternative directions you can take your turning in.

The Best from Woodturning Magazine Spindle Turning ISBN 1-86108-016-6 (30 odd projects)

Have fun with your turning.

Whitebeam.

A small suggestion I have, not for a project but for your turning would be to forgo spindle gouges and get bowl gouges instead. Yes they are a bit more expensive, but you can turn spindles with bowl gouges, but you can't turn bowls with spindle gouges.