Leigh FMT Pro vs Chisel Mortiser

Everett

So, for my Bday, my wife wanted to know what i wanted.

For m&t, i see two options (well, not including hand cutting them). Chisel mortiser or the Leigh FMT Pro. I feel the Domino though will be way out of the price range.

I'm referring to the FMT made of punched steel. Don't see why the aluminum is twice as much.

Which would/have people chosen?

Thanks

Ev

Everett: The difference between the fmt pro (punched steel) and the aluminum fmt unit is the aluminum is machined using cnc equipment giving better measurement tolerance and possibly better mating surfaces than the punched steel unit. I haven’t put my hands on one of the newer steel units so I don’t know if this perceived increase in quality is really relevant. CNC machining takes more time than punching and forming steel therefor the price difference although I don’t see it being twice as much. I’ve only used the aluminum unit once and I found the setup was time consuming and not worth the effort when compared to using a hollow chisel mortise unit and my very fine hand tools. Of course this evaluation is only valid it you are making one piece of furniture at a time. If you were making sever complete units at once then there might be a reason to use the jig. And one other note is that the fit between the fmt-produced mortises & tenons is exceptionally good, but again is this really necessary when mating two surfaces of wood.

Miles.

I have and use both a hollow chisel and an FMT.

The hollow chisel is my go-to mortiser, it's faster to set up and use, it's easier and quieter, and the range of mortise sizes is more flexible. 99% of my M&T joinery is cut with one.

The Leigh jig excels in making odd ball joinery. Angled and compound angled tenons, like for chairs, or for things like tenoning bent lamination table skirts. It does basic joinery very well, too, but I prefer the hollow chisel for that.

If you decide to go with the hollow chisel be sure to get one with a clamping X-Y table.