Dewalt dw733 planer

scottie56005

I got a tip about a dw 733 planer laying around at an urban pawn shop. They are asking $220 but was told they will take $150. Assuming it is in good shape this sounds like a great price. It is a two knife unit and new knifes are around $50. Worst case, I pay $200 for the unit and new knifes. This would be my first planer so I am pretty excited about it. Any cautionary things I should know about before I go to look at it tomorrow? (7-13-11) I plan on bringing a board with to test it out. Other than that I know very little about what it should do or should not do. Photo link ---> http://www.imgur.com/TlW42.jpg

Do you have a dewalt service shop in your area? I made the mistake of purchasing a stupid Porter Cable (basically the exact same model as the one you show). The motor racked in the chasis and I never got through one board. They credited me the purchase price and I instantly upgraded to the DW735.

Basically, if you have a dewalt service center, they will take care of you. I would be confident buying.

Well I did the deed and paid $125. The original sticker on it was $394, then $314. Everything checked out on it and I think I got a good deal. That is if it lasts! lol It had some rust inside on the columns but I cleaned that up and everything else and it looks pretty nice now. I took it all apart down to the roller and waxed it all up. I ran some really old black walnut through it and I was all smiles. I noticed the motor gets warm after a few passes. I assume this is normal and I should not over work it. After all my new PC router does the same thing. My tool collection is growing, now I just need a shop to put them all in haha.