Salvaged wood finishing...

mjgreenwood

My wife took me to Restoration Hardware to show me a Salvage Wood Table. Link to table here

The product information says that the wood is unfinished and unsealed. It did seem to not have a finish on it but the wood was way to uniform to be

random "salvaged wood". Maybe I'm wrong.

The wood in the table did feel unfinished yet really smooth (to 320 according to specs)but the color was to uniform so I'm guessing something in the prep. Bleaching or something.

Just curious if anyone has some insight on sanding reclaimed wood but keeping the nicks and scrapes. And the other problem was how to ruff up and "age" the cut endgrain to make it match as nicely as the production piece.

The joinery is simple enough on the table it's the finishing problems I'm trying to workout before I take up the task.

(I've got a source for some 130 year old pine already

Started doing some research on the burnishing and the descriptions sounds exactly like what I felt on these "unfinished" pieces.

None of the forums had science to back up the process but from what I gathered wood shavings are used to create friction on the surface to

close the pores on the surface and bring a soft luster to the wood. Many forums stated that wood turners use the process.

It was also stated a number of times that once you do this finished will not penetrate well due to the closed pores....

One gentleman stated that he used burlap to burnish wood when he didn't want to deal with dust.

So now I need to figure out how to efficiently perform that process on boards.

It was also stated that sanding beyond 320 can have the same effect. Once I decide to start I'll have to run a test I guess.

Anyone use this a finish on purpose?