The drip

Bobby Slack

This is not fine woodworking but as many of you I am proud of the best outcome possible if I am involved in a project.

I am staining my log cabin and I have a bunch of vertical posts that support my wrap around deck and the wrap around deck roof (side note ... having a roofed wrap around deck is fantastic when it rains, I can walk around the cabin just on my socks and is a nice feeling ... I used to camp in my property) ...

Continue.

So when I applied Sikkens Cetol 1 which is the primer, everything went fine and I made sure I got deep in the cracks of the wood.

When I went to my Sikkens Cetol 23 the dripp started to happen, so I go back ... and back ... and back. So far I have very few drips and I was told that I am too anal about this.

Yesterday I discovered the power of the FINGER.

After I went several times cleaning the drips and the stain is getting dryer I follow with my finger and press over the drip and mesh it with a circular motion.

Any thoughts about this?

OK friends. I need to use my morning before the afternoon showers start. Work from 7 to noon ... showers at 3 to 4 pm ...

Let me know what you think.

Adios.

Bobby

... having a roofed wrap around deck is fantastic when it rains, I can walk around the cabin just on my socks and is a nice feeling ...

Handsome as you are, Bobby, walking around in just your socks can get you into trouble :D

So when I applied Sikkens Cetol 1 which is the primer, everything went fine and I made sure I got deep in the cracks of the wood.

When I went to my Sikkens Cetol 23 the dripp started to happen, so I go back ... and back ... and back. So far I have very few drips and I was told that I am too anal about this.

Yesterday I discovered the power of the FINGER.

After I went several times cleaning the drips and the stain is getting dryer I follow with my finger and press over the drip and mesh it with a circular motion.

Any thoughts about this?

OK friends. I need to use my morning before the afternoon showers start. Work from 7 to noon ... showers at 3 to 4 pm ...

Let me know what you think.

Adios.

Bobby

Probably the sealer coat had something to grip to - the stained wood. The next coats will drip, especially if it seeps out of the cracks. I don't see any way of avoiding that. The drip is a bubble with hardened finish on the outside, and liquid finish on the inside. So using a tooth pick, and then flattening the drip with your finger is one way to go - as you say, it's not a furniture quality finish. Anything else will require too much work, I wouldn't have even looked for the drips myself, but then again, I don't walk around in just socks...

Enjoy the work,

John

P. S: more photos please - of the cabin, not the socks.

• 2 weeks later...

John ... sorry for taking so long to reply. You got me to laugh really loud. Right now, in the Colorado mountains (at about 3000 meters of altitude) is about 5 Celsius ... I am not walking just with my socks on. Probably my mother in law would have not enjoyed seeing me walk just with socks on as you implied ... and she is gone.

In regards to the drip .. after several times of cleaning and re-brushing I discovered the power of the finger and worked like a charm. Most of us on this forum are rather proud of our work so I did not want to show any sloppy work and so far I did a reasonable good job.

You still make me laugh ...