When 24 hours is not enough

jhl.verona

Maybe it's just me, but the 'View New Content' page normally shows the last 24 hours worth of posts. Well one of mine went over the timespan and disappeared off the list (and I was keen on getting an answer).

So I clicked on the 'Past week' button, the page reloaded, but still only 24 hours. Same with all the other 'By time period' buttons.

It used to work before the site overhaul...

John

John, I’ve never used this page. I noticed each page is limited to 25 entries before overflowing to the next page. I also noticed the time frame seems to relate to the “latest” replies in the right hand column, and not the original posting dates and times in the left hand column. So, for the “Past week” I see it’s possible for the first page of entries to be over only a 24 hour period in the right hand reply column, if enough replies have been posted during that time. In that case one would have to click the “Next” button to see the posts that have been replied to beyond a 24 hour period. That said, there will be times that the right hand column will have more that 24 hours listed. I’ve seen 2 days or more while looking at it today. This may not be what you’re observing but it’s just a thought.

Admittedly, I have never used this feature. But I just tried it out and it seems to work as expected for me. When I click on Past Week I get about 4 pages of posts, all from the past week. Try it on a different browser real quick John and see if that makes a difference at all.

I use "view new content" all the time; I have it bookmarked, and it's my only entry point into the forum. It seems to work fine for me. But, I also check it at least once a day, so 24 hours will show me everything I haven't seen.

I vaguely recall when we switched to this forum, deciding that I would have to check once a day, because the "view new content" didn't show anything older than 24 hours, even if I hadn't seen it.

OK I've found the 'problem' - you have to be logged in. The examples shown are Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) and Firefox 6.0.1.

Here are a few screen-shots:

'View new Content', anonymous:

post-2037-0-03745200-1315204775_thumb.jp

After clicking on 'Past week', still anonymous:

post-2037-0-74426500-1315204796_thumb.jp

There is no change at all, except for the parameters in the URL:

index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums&sid=e58d502de20e424f85e8b879efffe290&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&period=week&userMode=&followedItemsOnly=

Then I log in:

post-2037-0-25046100-1315204823_thumb.jp

I suppose I can call that fixed, but there must be a lot of 'lurkers' or just idle devils like me who don't log in first, so it might be worth putting on that ever so short 'to do' list?

John

P.S: If you're not using this page, then what are you using to see the latest forum posts?