This mahogany is rough stuff !

ScoFF

I’m working with african mahogany doing a frame and I’m having trouble getting it to finish smooth. I haven’t worked with this type of wood before but I was hoping it would come solid and smooth like the Cuban mahogany statue I have sitting here. My experience with african mahogany is similar to the walnut box I made, it’s very open grained and rough when cut, the pours seemed like they could never be filled. I did a moulded profile for the frame and sanded it it as smooth as I could get it but it was still quite rough. I put on 3 spray coats of poly and sanded it in between coats hoping to fill in the pours and knock back the rough grain but it still feels the same.

I have some Behlen grain filler I sometimes use but I didn’t want to have to tint this and fill in the grain since I’m leaving it a natural color. Any suggestions? I also have some dewaxed blonde shellac sanding sealer I could use but it’s a little late now since there’s 3-4 layers of poly now. Keep spraying and sanding?

i had a oak board similar to what your saying incredible changes in color and grain but the poors were ruff to the touch since they were so big. i ended up sanding it smooth then puting the entire board into the bathtub and soaking it till the grain flooded and swelled up. i then sanded again till i got the swelled grain off and smooth and when it dried it stayed smooth. might work try it with a small sample piece.

There are a lot of woods marketed as african mahogany (despite only the wood fron khaya genus should be labeled as african mahogany), does it have long pores similar to red oak?

I see no alternative to spray & sand, the first sandings must be quite aggressive, you have to remove all the finish from the surface until you reach the wood surface leaving only the pores filled...

post-4996-0-70285700-1315327771_thumb.pn

I sanded down a lot last night which was difficult to do because of the fancy profile I have. Lots of classic ogee, coves, round nose and points going on so I had to use the Lee Valley rubber form helpers to not kill the shape. It's smoother now with the sanding and two more spray coats but not done yet.