Online wood & plywood sources

drystuff

This is all well and good for those who have plenty of storage space and enough money to buy in big lots, but what about those of us on limited income and even more limited space? I'm just starting out and working more on the craft level. I don't have need of large quantities, nor space to store them in. Anyone know where to order SMALL quantities of woods??

David,

I'm in your same situation. Or at least I have been in the last several years, but it's getting better now.(or maybe worse if you ask my wife :) )

From looking around on Bell Forest Products website it appears they'll sell and ship you as much or as little lumber as you want. I'm fairly certain Steve Wall Lumber will do the same but I haven't ordered from them in quite a while. If all else fails check out Marc's video on lumber storage rack. It's simple to construct, out of inexpensive lumber and doesnt' take up much room. If nothing else you may be able to at least get ideas from it. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the advertisers on the site is Muterspaw lumber, crlumber.com. I have not actually order from them online, as they are local to me, and have bought quite a bit from them. The quality is excellent, and would recommend them.

I just received my first order from them and I'm happy. I ended up buying 80 bf total of oak, ash, and cherry as 20 and 40bf "hobby packs", so had my first experience with freight shipping. The company he used, Dayton Freight, was easy to deal with and the driver was friendly, wheeled the pallet right into my garage for me. The wood looks good, too! One of the oak boards is well over 12 inches wide and 6 feet long, and another couple are 6-9 inches in width.

I'd recommend 'em!

Glad you had a good experience with Dayton Freight; i had a bad experience with them when they claimed an engine I ordered was delivered, but I never received it. They couldn't find the shipping invoice to show who signed for it, so I never got my money back from the seller.

Of course, it's been over ten years... quality has to improve over that time...

General word of caution: whenever you are expecting a shipment, have someone there (you trust) to sign for it.

I've looked into Hobby Packs from both Bell Forest and Woodcraft, but have not purchased yet. Part of the issue is that delivery companies don't always deliver to your door, the other part is that these fine folks prefer a credit card for online purchases...

General word of caution: whenever you are expecting a shipment, have someone there (you trust) to sign for it.

I've looked into Hobby Packs from both Bell Forest and Woodcraft, but have not purchased yet. Part of the issue is that delivery companies don't always deliver to your door, the other part is that these fine folks prefer a credit card for online purchases...

Yeah I had the day off work so I was here to accept the shipment. I was actually thinking they'd ship Fedex but I guess with so much lumber it ended up being too heavy (280 lbs).

I bought kits for Marc's shaker table build last winter from Bell Forest and they shipped Fedex, no problems there. Nice stock, too.