Update on Missing Editing Icon

Onboard

I went to imbed a video link in a new post, but didn’t see how I could do that.

I went to Help, clicked on Posting, and then down the page to the following line:

media.png This will allow you to link to media, such as a video or song.

However, that button / icon is not available in the toolbars in the editing mode when posting.

Any chance this could be added to the editing tool bar?

Thanks

Yes, it is YouTube. I tried your suggestion of dragging and dropping the link, but it only starts the video on YouTube and does not embed it in my post in the edit mode. The post I'm referring to is here. Just prior to posting, I went here, and looked at Dave's Shop Tour. It has and embedded video, but in the text above Dave is stating "Click the link to have a look", implying that Dave may not have embedded the video either. Perhaps one of the moderators embedded the video for Dave after it was posted(?).

Of course I could be missing something. If you or someone else could tell me how to embed a video, I would greatly appreciate it. It does seem like the icon button I referred to must be turned off in the configuration settings somewhere.

Thanks Marc

I do occasionally embed videos for folks who just drop in the link.

Its a fairly easy process, but you need to have the right YouTube link. The easiest way I found to get it is to go to the video's page (doesn't matter how you got there). Click on the Share button just under the video and you'll see a URL. Copy that URL into your post and the video should show up automatically when you submit your post.

Just a heads up that YouTube is now giving us shortened versions of their URLs so I had to update the software here to handle it. Seems to be working great. As for the media button, it doesn't exist in the current version of the forum software. Media is embedded either through attachment, the My Media button or by directly dropping the link into your post.

I figured out why my YouTube video was not imbedding. When I originally posted “A Lesson In Turning” I copied the URL in the address bar which you see below. Marc suggested dragging and dropping the video, which I tried, but I still puts in the following URL, which does not embed, even though the name “embedded” is in the address line.

I then looked at the URL of other embedded videos in WTO, and the URL was arranged differently as shown below. After I manually edited my URL (link) I put in the post, it now shows the embedded video. Note: I had to drop the "http://" otherwise it would imbed the video in this post. Quotes around the URL didn't seem to make a difference.

I also noted that after going back into edit mode the HTML tags "media" & "/media" were before and after the modified URL. I could not put in the brackets ([ ]) around the words "media" since the whole thing becomes transparent when displayed after editing.

Now the only remaining mystery is after going back a few days later to check my post, the embedded video was gone. Go figure (please!). I did the same thing as above and now its embedded in the post again. I’ll check in a day or two to see if it sticks.

Final question: How are other posters getting their videos to embed?

Thank you Marc. I missed your last post (didn’t look before I leaped (posted)). If I had seen the Share button before, I would not have known (or guessed) it was for “embedding” a video as well. However, when I put my mouse pointer over that button, it says “Share or embed this video”. I appreciate your help and patience.

Well technically, it is just a Share link. Their expectation is that you will send that link to other people to promote your video through things like email. In the forum, we can't just let people Embed content using standard embed code as it poses a security risk. So we have pre-set code templates that recognize the share links and automatically add the additional code necessary for an embedded player to work. Its a pretty typical forum workaround for a security issue.

Well technically, it is just a Share link. Their expectation is that you will send that link to other people to promote your video through things like email. In the forum, we can't just let people Embed content using standard embed code as it poses a security risk. So we have pre-set code templates that recognize the share links and automatically add the additional code necessary for an embedded player to work. Its a pretty typical forum workaround for a security issue.

have to love IPB :) been using them since they they jumped ship from ikonboard. You could say that this is ikonboards mongoose project :)