Refinish a neglected oiled kitchen table.

sgibbers17

I received a kitchen table that used to be my grandmothers. Now I would like to know what would be the best way to seal this table. I was told that she used tung oil on it every year but it is not been oiled since she pass about 10 years ago. I was also told that the wood could be Teak. I have noticed that there is a water stain from a glass on one of the leaves but I am not to concerned about fixing that. What finish should I use to prevent any further water/food damage that can comes with everyday use by small children. I would also like to preserve the reddish/brown color that the wood currently has.

• 1 month later...

The tung oil your Grandmother used is still an excellent choice. I would start with that. Now kids and water are the next challenge so to maintain it you either stick with the tung oil or you use a finish that will not trap water underneath it. Mineral oil would be okay but you might as well use the tung oil. You could consider a wax but most will cause water stains, however Clapham's Salad Bowl finish will not. It is a bees wax based product. His other furniture waxes will allow the water stains to occur. The nice thing about the salad bowl finish is that it is non-toxic and you can use the table right after application.