Shellac problem - foggy areas - Resolved!

jhl.verona

Everything had been going well, I'd brushed five coats onto the plate holders. Gave them all (plus the four candle holders) another coat this morning, and this is the result after lunch...

post-2037-0-56384300-1323716537_thumb.jp post-2037-0-99154300-1323716539_thumb.jp post-2037-0-43921000-1323716542_thumb.jp

What changed? Same brush, same shellac (1 lb cut), same idiot applying the stuff, but while the temperature is still mild (about 13°C) it rained all day.

All the pieces have the same problem. I believe this is called blushing due to the humidity.

What I need to know is what is the cure? I've read that a wipe over with denatured alcohol should do it - is this correct? I can't bare the thought of sanding off the finish on all those pieces...

John

P.S: Yes I do have my own personal Murphy field.

Everything had been going well, I'd brushed five coats onto the plate holders. Gave them all (plus the four candle holders) another coat this morning, and this is the result after lunch...

post-2037-0-56384300-1323716537_thumb.jp post-2037-0-99154300-1323716539_thumb.jp post-2037-0-43921000-1323716542_thumb.jp

What changed? Same brush, same shellac (1 lb cut), same idiot applying the stuff, but while the temperature is still mild (about 13°C) it rained all day.

What I need to know is what is the cure? I've read that a wipe over with denatured alcohol should do it - is this correct? I can't bare the thought of sanding off the finish on all those pieces...

Humidity. The shellac is getting thick after that many coats. Yes wipe with alcohol. Straight alcohol will flash off faster. Next time cut your shellac on rainy humid days.

Don

Humidity. The shellac is getting thick after that many coats. Yes wipe with alcohol. Straight alcohol will flash off faster. Next time cut your shellac on rainy humid days.

Don

Thanks for confirming, Don. I'll have quite a lot of wiping to do :wacko: , but rather that than start over. Next coat will be 1/2lb instead of 1lb.

John