Oil Stone Questions

justinh

Recently there's been several conversations around here about different sharpening systems. I'm looking to get some good oil stones that are wide enough to sharpen a plane iron without skewing the iron. I've looked at the 2 1/2" W. stones at Dan's Whetstones.

My question is, would the Soft Arkansas and the Hard Select Arkansas be sufficient to get a good edge, or should I use the Soft and Black Hard stones? On the Soft stone, there are multiple thicknesses, does the thickness make a big difference, or would I be ok with a 1/2 thick stone?

Also, If there are any other stone producers that I should consider, feel free to throw those into the conversation as well.

I am fairly new to woodworking, especially the sharpening aspect and haven't ever had anything to sharpen my tools. Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Justin

Hmm. Those combo stones are a good value. If I had to buy once, it'd be the Soft (Medium)/Black (Extra Fine) in as large a stone as I could get. Thickness isn't an issue with Arkansas stones--they're very hard and will last a lifetime. They do eventually "dish" but only after decades of use. It's nice to have thick stones or some means of holding them down so they're more stable. I've got a Dan's translucent and it's a really nice stone. Some coarse belt sander sand paper to set a bevel, the soft, the hard, and a leather strop should get your chisels and planes about as sharp as can be.

I talked with Schwartz a while back about where to get stones and he directed me to Dans as well. I plan on going with 3" wide so I have more room to play when I sharpen my 2 3/8 and so that I'm fine if I ever get a #8. It is standard to get a Soft and Hard Arkansas followed by a strop. If stropping isn't for you then you will want a Translucent. Like Jonathryn stated a 1/2" thick stone will never wear out but it is just a stability issue, for this reason many used to attach theirs to a piece of stock or keep them in a wooden box "along with other reasons" so cracking would never be an issue. Good luck