Playing with my new toy

sbarton22

So, I tried out my new EWT C-1 Rougher. Man, that thing is sick. It is like cutting butter. I completely feel like I am cheating. There is no fighting the wood or catches or kick backs.

I am glad I started learning with traditional gouges and skews, but man, this is a whole new world.

Now...if I could only figure out a good way to turn the foot once I have the inside complete. I blew up another bowl. I turned a bowl to a razor thin edge and then tried to use my cole jaws to flip it and gentle finish the foot. All that did was blow it up. It would not have mattered because I still dented the edge.

I guess I could have parted off the bowl at the tennon or some kind of jam chuck and a 60 degree point and turned it down to a nib and sanded that off.

I don't have that part of the process down yet. I think I will look for some vids on the subject.

I'm telling you it feels silly, it is so smooth. I also really like the heft of the tool. It has more control. When I put it down and picked up my round scraper, it felt very flimsy.

I actually like working the wood and feeling it talk to me. However, I think that is novel for me and I really enjoy the business of form making. This sucker lets you get right to the point.

I do agree with other people's thoughts that you should learn how to use the traditional gouges and skews first. Although not 100% sure where that line was, I definitely felt that it was time to put that tool away and get out my square end scraper or skew to do specific parts. I'm definitely going to be a better turner for knowing the other tools and not being afraid to use them.

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain. I havent tried going the EWT route yet but i hear that once you go there your not coming back. Like you said no kickbacks or catches how sweet is that. Plus the idea of not worring about sharpening is kind of nice too. Replacement cutters @ 20 a pop is fair too.

Hey jimmy just wanted you to know if you go to the ewt website the replacement heads are on average about $3-5 dollars cheaper that at the retailer selling them I found them for about $13-15 but I have the minis and mid size ones but the cutters are all the same on the website good luck