Cutting Boards - Finished with varnish, would oil (later) be a problem?

TheSpoonman

marc -

sorry to bug you. i tried asking about this in a forum, but didn't hear back from anyone who seemed to know anything about salad bowl finish/wiping varnish and the way it might interact with mineral oil.

here's the original post in the other forum if you care to peruse the two (somewhat lame) answers i got:

i'm wondering if it's okay to use mineral oil on a board that's been varnished. does this cause problems with later coats of varnish not being able to cure properly and become food safe? or is it perfectly okay? since i've gone into business i feel like i need to have a really good handle on this to properly serve my customers.

i've tried to do some research elsewhere and while i'm learning a lot about different finish types, i can't find anything about this specifically and thought you might know. again, sorry to bug you with the question, but regular forum was definitely a dead end.

any help would be appreciated, even if it's in the form of a "go read this" link or book. :)

many thanks,

conrad

Hey Conrad. Keep in mind that you posted your question the day after Christmas. Forum activity is fairly low around holidays.

To answer your question, mineral oil will cause issues. But it depends on the order you apply it. If you first seal with varnish, you can maintain the board with mineral oil for the duration of its life. That's pretty much what i do. But if you try putting more varnish over the oiled surface, there will be problems. So that's why i feel it is best to seal the board with varnish once, then refresh the board with mineral oil. And please keep in mind that all of this is personal opinon from my experience and preferences. I make no claims about ultimate safety as it concerns products being sold to customers.

(null)

sounds good marc. from what i was reading this seemed like it might be the case. i really appreciate your opinion/experience. (don't worry - i would never quote you definitively or exclusively for a product i sell. if i make any claims they would be from the company or the FDA.)

thanks a ton. hope your holidays with your family were great and best wishes for 2012! :)