Shellac & Wax before glue up?

NYHump

Hi All,

I have a project that has many small pieces including shelves and drawers. I'm looking ahead to finishing them with shellac and wondering if I can finish all the pieces and then glue them all together. It would make it so much easier to take these pieces and finish them when loose. Most of the shelves and tops/bottoms fit into dato's then glued. Using Titebond II glue, all different types of wood. Please tell me the glue will adhere after shellac.

NYHump

I like to, on the table saw, rip thin strips of wood that will fit into the dado slots. This shall prevent the build-up of finish from getting into the dado slots. Just make sure to remove the strips before the shellac has time to fully cure or will be tough going getting them out. If you apply finish into the dado slots your shelves won't fit due to the build up of finish narrowing the slots. With any pre-finishing, you should try to avoid getting finish on any of the glued surfaces

-Ace-