Need a dust collector !!!!

Jack Medure

Looking it a dust collector that will do a good job for my planer and table saw. I really news to address the air quality. I was thinking and the ceiling hung jet air cleaner, seems decent for about $300. I don't have a quake on what kind of collection system. With in a reasonable price atleast. It is a garage shop, 16x16.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jack, I have the Harbor Freight one, you can find it on sale for under $200.00. I run it on my Ridgid 3650, Dewalt 734 and Ridgid jointer and have no issues with it. I did replace the 5 micron bag with a 1 micron bag.

i just bought a harbor freight dust collector 2 hp unit- seems to be a good dc- i am working on my duct placement now.

I ended up going with the delta 1.5hp unit with the 1micron bag. So far it has been great, it has two ports but I only run one on a flex hose at the moment, not the best way but I'm just not settled on the shop set up to run duct work yet. Overall I'm really happy so far but in all fairness I'm coming from a shop vac.

Jack - I have that same DC and I also have been pleased. It came out top dog in a review a few years back (for units that size). You also would have done well with the HF or Grizz 2HP units from what I have read, with an upgrade to a 1micron bag or canister.

I am really struggling on what direction I should go. Seeing that my shop is in the basement, I am really leaning towards a cyclone... But I like the idea of going with a lower cost DC and building my own separator. Decisions, decisions...

i am impressed so far by my harbor freight dc- it is still on sale for 189 and if u have coupon u can get an additonal 20% off! buy 2 of them! i think sale is till end of january?. i am hooking up some 4'' pvc this weekend for my dc-

I ended up going with the delta 1 1/5 hp, with this being my first dc my experience is limited but I will say when I hook up my planer, jointer, table saw or router table it sure does the job. I see not dust whatsoever on the jointer and planer and minimal on the table saw, only a little from the top of the cut.

I ordered it from amazon, overnight shipping and everything came in undamaged and I had it running in about 20 min. Very easy to set up.

I also just purchased an installed the potential air cleaner in the shop and that thing is pretty amazing, truly top notch. Easy to set up, dispel to use and change filters. I had about a year worth of dust around the shop, I threw on my mask and some goggles blew all the dust in the garage up into the air set it on high and walked out. When u came back in a few hrs later the air was clear and very little dust settled back down. I did it once more and now the shop really is dust free.

Just my .02

Jack - I have that same DC and I also have been pleased. It came out top dog in a review a few years back (for units that size). You also would have done well with the HF or Grizz 2HP units from what I have read, with an upgrade to a 1micron bag or canister.

I agree I seen the same review. Overall I'm really happy with it, added the pm air cleaner to the mix and it really improved the air quality in the shop.