Hock = Awesomeness

jab73180

Hello fellow knuckle draggers. I just got my new Hock bench plane iron and chip breaker tonight. That really smahtened up my jack plane let me tell you what. If there was a spot between noob and beginner, thats where i would be in terms of experience. That blade makes my work look professional now. I have read bits and pieces of The Schwarz's book The Anarchists Tool chest and took his advise on using a couple different irons in one plane. I took the original iron that came with it and added a 8" radius for rough work and bought this hock blade for jointer and smoothing work. Thank you Hock and what a difference.

YES! I also just received a new Hock Iron and Chip Raker for my flea-market Bailey #5. All I can say is WOW! Right out of the mailbox I went ahead and shaved the back of my hand clean of all hair. When my wife asked why I told her "because I can..." :) . Seriously though, blades from Hock Tools are well worth the price. I bought the High Carbon Steel model and put it straight to work. It is without a doubt the best investment I've made in my long tool purchasing history. I will be upgrading the rest of my hand planes very soon. Thank you Hock Tools and The Wood Whisperer for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

A question for those who have used a Hock replacement blade: I picked one up for a cheap Stanley Bailey #7 I stumbled on. But the throat is too narrow for the thicker blade. I went to start using a mill file to open the throat a bit and discovered that none of my mill files will fit into the throat either.

Has anyone opened a plane throat and if so what size/brand mill file did you use?

I actually have no idea how old the #7 is but I'd guess it's fairly late. (Know of any quick links for identifying Stanley Plane age?)

The throat is no more than 3/16s wide. I bought a new mill file that's just under an 1/8 thick and have managed to open it up a bit. The Hock fits fairly well in my Stanley Bailey #6.

I suppose I could move the frog back further but once it's past the back of the throat it really doesn't matter does it? The blade will just be unsupported by the frog.

• 4 weeks later...

A few of the older Stanley types have Very Narrow Mouths. When the frog is adjusted back to accomodate the thicker blade, the heel of the bevel hits the rear edge of the mouth. It's not a common problem, I may get a couple of calls a year about it. To use a thicker blade (and they can only be so much thicker, too much and the adjuster lever won't reach through the blade to engage the breaker) in these rare cases you are going to have remove some metal from the mouth. Where, exactly, you ask? Take a close look at the leading edge of the mouth. That front edge holds the shavings down to help avoid tear out. And, especially with these older plane, those shavings actually wear that leading edge and round it over. To do it's job well, the front edge of the mouth must be in good shape. If the front edge of your plane's mouth is not straight across, sharp and square, now would be good time for this once-or-twice-in-a-lifetime maintenance task. Scribe a line across the sole at the mouth and carefully file the mouth's front edge straight and crisp. Now see if the blade fits. If it still hits the sole at the back of the mouth, take some metal off at the rear of the mouth. Filing the rear of that slot requires far less care and precision than the front. Take off enough to allow the new blade to fit properly and off you go. Let me know if you need more, or clearer, help.

Good luck,

Ron Hock

www.hocktools.com

First of all, I'm a Normite by upbringing during my formative years working in the woodshop with my grandfather, but I've recently become more of a blended shop. So, I ordered two Hock chip breakers and blades this last year for a #3 and #5 that had been sitting collecting dust on a shelf. The new parts sat in my drawer along with the old rusted out chip breaker and blades until recently due to my project load. I have the #3 tuned and running. The #5 is awaiting it's new parts until I can practice and refine my camber technique. I was a little un-happy with how the blades were packed that the #5 blade wound up with a 1/32" deep gouge about 1/4" long in the cutting edge, but I'm impressed with the quality of the parts. I figure I just have to dress back past the nick (and of course it's right in the center where the camber won't dress it off) then I'll be good. Go Hock replacement parts!!!

AND...just so everyone knows...I was contacted by Ron to remedy the situation. I told him I'm going to pass because over the life of the blade I'll remove a fair amount of metal myself. BUT...I was impressed to receive a personal message. Kudos to Hock Tools!

I am sure once you get the work done you will love it. I have Hock blade in my 604 and blade and chipbreaker in my #6 and couldn't be any happier. Later this year I am going to upgrade the irons in my #5 and my daughters #3 (I use it a lot too but it does make me feel better when I hand over the $'s knowing it is going in her plane !!) -oh what a happy day that will be.