filling pores !!! Need help

Jack Medure

i been working the finishing a oak table top, ran into a few issues but got most of them worked out. The grain structure of the oak has very large and porous patterns. I have concerns that over time the table will suck in every bit of liquid that comes in contact with it so i would like to fill the pores.

It has a base coat of danish oil and about 5 coats of arm-a-seal satin. Can i still fill the pores and what is the best way?

Here is a pic of the wood, you can see the pore ponds!

Thanks in advance

post-6243-0-54587800-1327287837_thumb.jp

Use Aqua Coat clear grain filler; it is a water-based grain filler you use after some coats of finish. Once applied, sand it back lightly and apply some more top coats to finish the sandwich. Coincidentally, last week I did a review of it. My thumbs wish I knew about it before I started my sculpted mahogany vanity...

Arm-R-Seal has high solids. So by applying in many thin coats, you will have to apply more coats to get a nice film build and protection.

I use a folded cotton rag. Dip in the finish full strength. Apply a nice wet coat and don’t over work the finish. Work a wet edge. Once dry, apply a second coat in the same manner. Once that is dry, block sand with some 600-grit sandpaper to level your finish. Careful not to sand through your finish and stay off your edges.

By block sanding the finish, you’re removing about a layer of finish cutting it back some. So the grain pockets are filling and remain untouched from the sanding. You can keep repeating this process till your grain is filled to your liking. If I remember...General Finishes recommends about 3 good coats as a final thickness.

I’m not sure if the Aqua Coat is compatible with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal and may cause adhesion issues. Perhaps you should contact General Finishes for any compatibility issues! Maybe Paul has addressed that in his review?