Leveling Liquid Finish?

bowyerch

This is a shot in the dark question, but I thought if anyone would know (or knows someone who would know), it would be you guys. I have this game (photo attached) wherein you spin a top inside an enclosed tabletop and it moves around and knocks over little bowling pin like objects, you get more points for different pins and its actually pretty cool. However, it is very old and the floor is no longer level, there are low spots where the top goes and never comes out, also there are dents and imperfections in the floor that can send the top askew.

My question is this, is there a product, an epoxy or resin or something that I can pour into the floor of the box and have it dry hard, level, and clear?

I appreciate any help you can give me in this venture.

Chris

post-6730-0-40477200-1332617582_thumb.jp

I have never actually used it, but I think some sort of 2-part epoxy bar top finish would work for what you are doing. I would worry about a few things when applying it:

1. Make sure the game is as level as you can get it when you pour the epoxy, so that it doesn't wind up thicker on one side or the other.
  2. Make sure to read and follow the directions that come with the product. In particular, pay attention to the temperature of everything when you do the pour, and make sure that the low spots in the game aren't so bad that the thickness of the epoxy exceeds whatever is recommended by the manufacturer.
  3. Try and do the pour in a place that's free of dust and dirt and insects that might get into the mix before it cures.

I hope somebody who has actually done this can chime in with more/better hints and maybe recommend a specific product.

-- Russ

I have used a Famowood product called glaze coat. Its a pour on finish self leveling dude. You can pick it up at lowes in a qt kit or gallon kit. For sure practice on something else first. Before you apply, sand and top coat your existing finish with a wax free shellac. Follow the directions word for word.

You may need to get your game apart for this type of finish to work for ya. Its gonna be hard as hell to get it to lay down even with all those partitions in the way. Plus you are going to want to spread the finish with a v-notched trowel and torch it to remove air bubbles. Trust me, if you cant get those partitions out of your way, this type of finish may not be the answer.

If there is no way to remove those walls and you see this finish as the ticket to your problem, definitly make up a practice board with the walls to get a plan before you break loose on the real deal. This shit is serious and there is no going back.