Greetings from NE GA

Adirondacker8

I am a transplanted Adirondacker living in the sweltering heat of NE GA. Just setting up a better wood shop and getting acquainted with tools and techniques with the help of the Woodwhisperer and other online woodworkers. I have done a good bit of carpentry and numerous projects around the house and for friends and family and now I am looking to get into building some Shaker type stuff but I dabble in lots of different stuff. I'll try to attach a couple of my projects. The wife and I completely reworked the opening around a molding framed fireplace with the stone and walnut mantle you see in the picture. Bought the mantle as a piece of rough cut walnut that had been sitting in a guys barn for 15 years. spent a couple days smoothing and sanding and then just put a couple coats of tung oil on it an man did it look nice. Had plans for corbels and such but when we got to where it is it just didn;t seem to need more. sometimes less is more. I've attached the before picture of that project last.

post-1527-062297900 1283310558_thumb.jpg

post-1527-050762200 1283310685_thumb.jpg

post-1527-003978000 1283310959_thumb.jpg

Hi from another NE Georgia woodworker. Good luck getting the shop set up, and don't worry, you'll get used to the heat. The trick is to stay inside in the A/C in the summer whenever possible. You'll like the winters here, it can get cold but nothing like folks a bit north are used to.

I like that fireplace/mantle you did. Quite an improvement from the white, generic style of the before picture.

Thanks Larenzoid. I've been in the area since 2003. Getting somewhat used to the heat but my secret woodworking weapon is that my shop is being set up in my garage...which is insulated and easy to heat or cool by opening door into the house and starting up big fan. I can't say I'd be getting back into woodworking now if I had to working in 95+ heat. Cool weather I can deal with.

Welcome,

I'm in Waynesville - Which, although technically North Carolina, is close enough to Georgia.. Originally from Buffalo, NY - So I understand the feeling of being comfortable with the cool weather, but not real hip to the warm stuff yet...

Anyway, Just wanted to say Hi, and Welcome!

Best,

Gregory